The Glass House

Mohi Andrabi, Reporter

Unlike any other venue nearby, the Glass House provides an electric atmosphere while maintaining its chill vibe. The venue itself is quite wide but contained; it has a wooden floor and ceiling with a glass roof, hence the name “Glass House.” Located in Pomona, the Glass House Records Store has garnered great popularity through its trendy style, chic furniture, and the fantastic musicians that are featured there throughout the year. Artists who have performed there range from relatively unknown bands like The Dodos and Hunx and His Punx to better known groups such as Modest Mouse, STRFKR, No Doubt, and The White Stripes. Even though the Glass House has hosted a few renowned bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs earlier this year, and some of the others mentioned above, it seems to generally target smaller performances due to its small size. Many students at CHS have found this musical hub to be a familiar place that is fun to relax in and at the same time, bring them entertainment beyond imagination.

“The Glass House is a fun place to go for music because you, as the spectator, must get up close to the music because it is a small venue,” senior Jeff Sarinana said. “The performers also put on dope concerts due to such a close connection with their fans.”

In 1996, the Glass House opened as a record store as well as a concert venue. In the beginning, the Glass House mainly hosted punk rock shows, as that was what the architect, the late Phillip Johnson, preferred. The theatre then branched out to hosting highly acclaimed bands like No Doubt, and Rage Against the Machine. Now, it hosts a wider variety of bands that appeal to many ages. Some of the artists who have performed at the Glass House in the recent past are artists that the masses are just beginning to recognize. A couple of new artists who are performing in the near future are Frightened Rabbit and Mad Dog Cole, two bands that are just getting their start. Citizens of Claremont who have had the luck to experience the magical atmosphere of the Glass House rarely provide negative reviews.

“Going to viva Pomona, a free concert at the Glass House, for the last two years was crazy wicked. I saw my first concert there too; The Horrors were playing, which was a huge turning point in my life of music appreciation,” Sarinana said. “Also, I’ve seen Deap Vally, Hunx and His Punx with Shannon and the Clams, and Nobunny as well.”

The Glass House brings many people together through music, provides an accessible venue for the youth at of CHS, and allows people to enjoy great music in an inexpensive manner. Furthermore, it exposes people to a different type of musical experience with a smaller venue. The Glass House hosts very extravagant events yet gives off a very relaxed vibe.

“I always have an amazing time at the Glass House, even at the free shows they sometimes host; I try to go every weekend,” senior Avery Hernandez said. “It is a really nice environment as well. There is no [other] place I would rather be on a Friday night.”

Whether looking to browse for records, or listening to great live performances, the Glass House provides its patrons with a unique experience and does not disappoint.