Mr. Work

Mr.+Work

As one of the many substitutes on the CHS campus, William Work has made a name for himself with his friendly attitude and ability to connect with students. Despite this, many students may not know how Work came to the CHS campus. He previously had a job as a self-employed programmer in the healthcare industry. He had worked there for more than 20 years, but increasingly found his job lonely. This made him turn his attention towards jobs that involved interacting with others, such as substituting for teachers. Work had always liked working with youth in volunteering and school programs. To add to it, he has two children who had attended CHS in previous years, solidifying his relationship with the school. His children also gave valuable advice about teaching in a high school classroom.

“When I first started substituting, I talked to my children who had been students here,” Work said. “They said the best substitute teachers were the ones that tried to connect with the students.”
It is now more than three years since he began his career as a substitute teacher. Work enjoys the unique environment at Claremont High and the students who attend.

“I like the vibe of the school,” Work said. “It’s a pleasant place to come and work and be with the students.”

Students can usually find Work substituting in one of the many science and math classes on campus. He has a special fascination with learning how to make things operate, a passion that was carried over from his earlier work as a programmer. For Work, science is just an extension of this earlier interest as it deals with the fundamental rules of nature.
CHS is happy to have Work as a substitute teacher for their classes. His affable demeanor sets students at rest and helps him relate with many of the students here. Work’s job and experience after raising his two children through high school contributes to his special approach to teaching that makes him stand out among from others. There are many different faces at Claremont, but Work’s friendly face will always stand out to the students of CHS.