Special Ed Art Project

The Special Education department has been doing something different for their students this past month. They have been painting three similar sets for a cornhole toss game. The class started painting and decorating with the guidance of Special Education teachers starting in the later weeks of September and the early weeks of October. In total, 16 students from the fifth period Adapted Physical Education class are contributing to this project.
Lucas Falconer is an Adapted Physical Education teacher, and during the summer he thought of a number of small, but fun activities for his students to participate in instead of doing their usual activities. It could prove to be a general morale booster for the beginning of the school year.
“As an Adapted Physical Education teacher, I try to plan lessons and units for my class where everyone can participate together.” Falconer said. “Cornhole is fun, easy, competitive, and now it’s accessible to my APE class.”
The cornhole sets themselves are more interesting than generic sets. The color is eye-catching, and the designs are made to represent CHS. In addition, they appear to be in pristine quality with extravagant color schemes. The actual construction of the sets were done beforehand, but they have added a few variations to them. The holes in all three were made a little bigger, as well as backboards on two of the sets. Some colors were intentionally chosen to have a distinguished contradiction because certain accommodations needed to be made for individuals in the class with special impairments.
Students have differing physical abilities, so the conventional approaches to an art project had to be adjusted slightly. There were changes made to allow for better accessibility for students with constrained maneuverability. Falconer believes that this part of the project was the most interesting because they had to position the students in the right formation.
At this point, they have finished one project, but there are more that have been proposed. It appears to have gone very well. Falconer has also planned a washer toss and a ladder golf game for his students to do. He is very excited to work with his colleagues and the students on more extracurricular projects similar to this later on in the school year.