The Real Reason Students Join Sports Teams in High School Con

For many students at CHS, participating in sports has become an experience to be dreaded when the last bell of the school day rings. Rather than being an outlet for enjoyment, after school sports present students with unnecessary headaches, while also giving students less time for other activities that they actually enjoy. Perhaps the most obvious argument that can be made against after school sports is the demanding nature of the entire affair. The arduous physical activity combined with the expectation of competing against other schools generates unneeded stress.
One major point for proponents of after-school sports is that they fulfill the California P.E. requirement. Rather than having a fitness class take up a period of their schedule, students turn to after-school sports to meet the requirement. Yet unbeknownst to many, there are several alternatives that provide credits offered by third party organizations. According to the California Department of Education, a student may participate in Independent Study, in which they exercise independently, according to a written agreement, and report their activities to an adviser in order to receive credit. Additionally, students have the option of enrolling in P.E. courses over the summer.
Many see sports as a great opportunity for an extracurricular activity, however, students are unaware of the opportunity costs that it presents. Colleges are looking for students who have a passion for what they are doing. For those who have no real interest in their sport, participating in afterschool activities could be more productive instead of spending hours after school performing physically exhausting tasks. While some simply possess an affinity for physical activity, after-school sports are not for everyone.