San Antonio High School Helps Struggling Students Achieve Their Goal

In California, there are currently over 450 continuation schools, which are alternative comprehensive high schools that serve students who are at-risk of not graduating at the normal pace. San Antonio High School (SAHS) is one such school that is located on the border of Claremont and Pomona. SAHS is a lesser-known high school within CUSD that serves around a hundred students. Students are sent to SAHS from CHS if they have problems with attendance, behavior, or if they are struggling academically. Through a mix of online classes and regular classes, students can eventually return to CHS or continue their education at SAHS.

Around  20-30 students are sent to SAHS every year, and students are usually sent within the first eight weeks of a semester or at the beginning of the school year. CHS Vice Principal, Doug McCasey and the guidance counselors review triad grades to decide which students would benefit from attending SAHS. About 50% of the students who are sent to San Antonio choose not to come back to CHS because they like the atmosphere there. In order to return to CHS from San Antonio, students must demonstrate good grades, behavior, and attitudes at SAHS. Rain Heimbach is a former CHS student who recently transferred to SAHS at the beginning of second semester this school year.

“San Antonio has a more individualized learning experience that caters to every student’s needs. It’s a great school with a bad reputation,” Heimbach said.

Most students are sent to SAHS from CHS if they are credit deficient (behind on the credits they need to graduate). In some cases, students may be directed to San Antonio if they have extreme behavioral issues, for example if they are suspended multiple times. However, going to SAHS can also be voluntary. Students have chosen to attend themselves because they feel that they need more credits and are willing to commit to SAHS to get back on track. Interdistrict students who do not meet the criteria to attend CHS also have the option to go to San Antonio.

The goal of SAHS is to help students graduate high school on time by providing different kinds of opportunities to encourage students. There are smaller classes, with and an overall much smaller learning environment at SAHS. Students can catch up on credits faster because both classes taught by teachers and online classes are offered. Students start the school day at 8:00 am and end at 2:30 pm. On Mondays and Thursdays, they attend odd numbered periods, and on Tuesdays and Fridays, students go to even numbered periods. Students attend all their classes, but spend a shorter amount of time in each class on Wednesdays. The system OdysseyWare is the online curriculum SAHS provides allowing students to create a personalized alternative education program tailored to their needs. Mr. Sean Delgado, the principal of SAHS, works to provide beneficial opportunities to students both in and out of the classroom.

“Mr. Delgado does a great job setting up outside activities for students and finding ways to keep them involved, like sports teams,” Vice Principal of CHS Mr. Doug McCasey said.

While SAHS may be a small fraction of the size of CHS, it provides students with an opportunity to improve their grades and experience a new kind of school environment. Continuation schools like San Antonio are extremely influential to many students’ lives and can help keep them motivated and prepare for their future.