The Cost of Being an Upperclassman

Being an upperclassmen in high school definitely has its perks. As an upperclassman, one can not help but feel a sense of superiority and triumph as they promenade through the campus, overjoyed with the knowledge that they have completed at least half of of their four-year sentence at high school. Despite being the source of underclassmen envy, the costs of being an upperclassman outweigh the benefits due to sky-high monetary expenses of school-related education and entertainment. If it were legal, upperclassmen would probably be charged a dollar or two for every breath. From  college testing to enjoying a night out with friends at a school dance, the amount of money consumed by the school and education organizations continues to rise. Juniors and seniors may seem as though they have the most fun as unofficial rulers of high school, but the financial costs that come with it do not live up to the hype.

Upperclassmen are very familiar with testing. Good scores equate to college acceptance, but brainpower and intelligence alone can not pay off the expense. Those who wish to earn credits for certain core classes in college must prove their worth, and wealth, with AP/IB and subject tests which can amount to about $400 total, given that AP tests are $93 and IB $110 each plus an additional $160 registration fee. Prep classes and online courses are available starting at a very cheap price of $500, and depending on the program, prices can be as high as $3000. For the test itself, registering for the SAT and sending the score reports to colleges add up to $108 and students often retake these tests to achieve a better score.On the bright side, all this money is part of college expenses, but one cannot help wondering about the cost of entertainment and school merchandise, and how many more limbs it is going to take to pay it all off.

As well as testing, school dances can get very expensive. Such dances are also unequivocally crucial for students who are looking for an opportunity to ease the stress and tension from their minds after tearful days of toiling through difficult classes and mountains of homework. Money-wise, prom tops it all. Tickets and attire easily adds up to about $500 to $3000. Seniors however, take the trophy for “most money spent” due to their inclination to purchase or attend nearly everything the school offers in fear of missing out on their last year of high school. According to a study by Newark New Jersey, about $5,000 to $10,000 is spent on the average senior, including costs of senior and grad night, dances, senior pictures, cap and gown, testing, and college applications.

For those who believe that the costs are justified, tell it to all the AP, IB, and honor students. Education is already as expensive as it is, but paying hundreds of dollars to take a test that may or may not even grant one a smooth ride into college is ridiculous. A much better solution for this dilemma comes in the form of an outline of finances given to students by their counselors at the start of junior and senior year. This way, students can see all the fees that may need to be paid so that they may prepare themselves for the immense expenses ahead. Upperclassmen are being forced to flush every single cent out of their pockets before they graduate, as though they are not already exhausted enough with their endless concerns regarding academics and extracurriculars. With that being said, here is a heads up for all underclassmen: brace yourself for the next two years because the path to a successful and enjoyable life is a path paved by your own money. Work on filling up that piggy bank.