Cookin’ it Up With Mohi’s Menu

Of all the food cultures on Earth, the most interesting, in my opinion, stems from Latin America. It cannot be understated, the influential presence that Latin American cuisine has over modern, international culinary culture and innovation. However, my opinion regarding the culinary powerhouse only goes so far as my understanding of it. To better understand this enticing entity I spoke to CHS students who openly express a fondness for it that rivals only my own.

“The unique flavors of Latin food directly correlate to reflect the diverse cultures of Latin American peoples. Simple, exquisite, and often times an entertaining experience, Latin American cuisine provides diners with a taste of a culture hundreds of years in the making,” junior Diego Henriquez said.

Peruvian food is no doubt an appealing and possibly underrated choice when it comes to Latin American food as a whole. The flavorful composition of dishes such as ceviche, causa, and Lomo Saltado speaks to a certain level of sophistication regarding the usage of spice and other such aromatics. Additionally, I find that Peruvian cuisine as with many other visually appealing schools of culinary thought, makes it very easy for one to eat with one’s eyes. As with all factions of Latin American cuisine, Peruvian food causes diners’ taste buds to dance the salsa with delight. Interestingly enough, students at CHS share this same position.

“I think Peruvian food is amazing because of it diverse options. [The cuisine] utilizes fish, beef, and potatoes to create a myriad of dishes and meals,” senior Tamar Landman said.

Another one of the most well-regarded members of the aforementioned culinary culture stems from Mexico. Although fast-food restaurants such as Del Taco, Taco Bell, etc., have taken away from the storied existence of Mexican cuisine, I feel that is borderline impossible to dumb down the impressive qualities of this culinary powerhouse.

Regardless of how the events occur, a few of many truths remain constant: the flavor and flare of Latin American cuisine, the panache and innovation it embodies, the flamboyance and visual appeal it displays, continue to excite culinary junkies such as myself. Furthermore, it can be said with great confidence, that despite society’s arrival into the Intelligence Age, CHS’ student body has not forgotten to appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship stemming from the culinary arts. Hopefully, this appreciation for ethnic cuisine can carry on past high school and for the rest of our lives because, as George Bernard Shaw once said, “there is no sincerer love than the love of food.”