Theory of Knowledge is Finally a Weighted Class

Theory of Knowledge (TOK) is a discussion-based class that is required in the IB Diploma Program. It is designed to help students become critical thinkers and to ultimately question where knowledge comes from. TOK has been a course at CHS since 2009, but it was never weighted in terms of GPA. However, with second semester just around the corner, things are about to change as TOK has become a weighted class for juniors and seniors.

Since TOK was introduced to CHS, the class itself was not traditionally a weighted class. However, IB coordinator Linda Saeta and the CHS Administration have been working with the California IB Association of World Schools (CAWS) to get the class weighted. They succeeded, as the CAWS agreed that TOK was a significant course that deserved a weighted grade.

“The UC’s also changed their classification and decided TOK should earn honors credit, just as it does for many other classes. Based on this change at the UC’s, we have a school policy that all classes that UC’s grant honors credit automatically earn honors credit at CHS,” said Saeta.

The new class weight not only benefits the juniors currently taking TOK, but it also benefits the IB seniors who took TOK second semester of their junior year and the first semester of their senior year. Current IB seniors can see the change in their GPA on Q. The class does not only benefit the students because of the weighted GPA, but it also benefits the students by relating the information that students are learning in other classes to TOK.

One of TOK’s goals is for students to think about what they are learning to help them know information for the future in order to expand their knowledge. The class looks at knowledge and questions how students gain knowledge. Within the class, students discuss issues relevant to CHS and the world around them.

“TOK being weighted is a pretty big deal for me because of the fact that previously I had been required by the program to take an unweighted class was really annoying since it brought down my overall GPA,” senior Clayton Becker said.

Students taking this course are delighted with the new change and decision. Students who take this class learn beneficial information to help them in other classes along with learning news about the world around them.