Homework Turns Summer Into A Bummer

Summer! Summer! Finally, it is time for students to take a break from school work and just have fun, but something is blocking the way—summer assignments. For many students who are taking a higher-level class, they have already experienced summer assignments. They are given by the teachers so that students can work on them during their summer break, and the work varies from packets to essays. The purpose of summer assignments is to stimulate brain cells during the summer so that students are prepared for the upcoming school year. Summer assignments should not be assigned because there are many disadvantages that affect students.
Firstly, the assignments that teachers give to students take away most of the students’ time during the summer and add unnecessary stress. Summer break is a time of rest for students because they cannot constantly study all year long. Teenagers may take these few months to travel the world and experience new things that cannot be taught at school. With the amount of homework, projects, and tests teachers give out, students’ stress levels skyrocket. However, the summer time is for the students to relax and unwind from the hectic school year.
Additionally, there are other kinds of students who use the summer time to catch up with their classmates. Some students take summer classes or prep classes. These students take this opportunity to improve in their studies or to get ahead, but with summer assignments placed in front of them, it forces them to now stress over two things. Summer assignments may distract the student from focusing on their summer classes and might therefore lead to a bad performance. Also, because summer classes are
crammed into only a small amount of time, the lessons are longer and a lot faster. This results
in even more work than regular school days. With just the classes alone, there is pressure on the student, and a summer assignment only increases the pressure.
Lastly, aside from all the students’ work, there are the family plans. Most people assume summer is supposed to be stress-free and enjoyable and plan a summer vacation trip accordingly, but the summer assignment shows up again. As students take time to focus on their work, they tend to not spend quality time with their family members. Now that is a problem. It disturbs the time in which families talk to each other and play games. The student is then left as the only one with a paper and pencil in hand, trying to answer questions or read a book of someone else’s adventure when they should be having their own.
Although the work teachers give out may have some benefits, they should give their students a break. Also, the students should be able to choose whether to use their time in educational purposes, so summer assignments should not be assigned to students.