Junior Abby Heck Finds Her True Calling in Cosmetology

To most, challenging society’s belief that one cannot have both brains and beauty seems like quite the daunting task. However, junior Abby Heck accomplishes this feat by balancing her high school studies with her commitments as a cosmetology student at the Pomona Cosmetology School. Cosmetology is the study of cosmetics to improve and beautify the skin, hair, and nails. For Heck, cosmetology is more than a study, it is art for her to express herself.
“Makeup has affected my life by bringing me joy. When I do other people’s makeup and they’re happy since they feel beautiful, I feel happy too, even though they’re just as beautiful without it,” Heck said.
Heck is taking a cosmetology class at the Pomona Cosmetology School. This class is designed to give students a wide range of knowledge about beauty. Every Monday, Heck studies concepts pertaining to hairstyles, nail designs, or applying makeup. Over the course of her time as a student, Heck has learned many tricks of the trade, such as how to highlight and color hair using techniques like color and bleach mixing, weaving and foiling the hair, as well as toning down the colors after the mix has been applied. Heck believes that this class intrigued her because it offered her a jumpstart towards her dream career of owning a salon. Taking a cosmetology class while still in high school provides an advantage over other students pursuing the same profession. For CHS students, Heck has a beauty tip:
“Be yourself. Do what you love, and don’t ever be worried about what other people think,” Heck said.
From a young age, cosmetology has been an integral part of Heck’s life. In her youth, Heck would do her mom’s hair, makeup, and even give her facials. She has had a lifetime of experience and always knows what style is “in.” In the meantime, she is focusing on buying a store where she can open her own salon with services focusing on facials, hair cutting, coloring, makeup artistry, and nail services. Heck hopes to achieve her goal of becoming a cosmetologist because she simply wants to do what she loves in life.