Dr. James Mitchell Replaces Dr. Hilton as Assistant Principal of CHS

As the 2015 school year starts, so does Dr. James Mitchell’s career as CHS’s new assistant principal. Mitchell is replacing Dr. June Hilton, who departed over the summer to work in the Educational Services department at the district office. Mitchell is excited to be starting a career at CHS.
Mitchell began his education at UC Riverside, where he received his bachelor’s degree and his teaching credential 20 years ago. After teaching at La Sierra High School in Riverside for three years, Mitchell decided to return to school. He continued
his education at the University of Michigan, where he spent five years concentrating on his master’s degree and Ph.D., which he earned in 2007. He also taught composition and literature courses as a graduate instructor at the University of Michigan, as well as writing classes at Fullerton College and Riverside Community College. Before arriving at CHS, Mitchell worked at Glendora High for 11 years, five as head of the English Department, for a total of 14 years as a high school teacher. This is his first year working in CUSD.
“When I was at Glendora, for the most part I was a high school teacher in the classroom, so that perspective is different from the position I’m in now. [Now] I have a different viewpoint of what goes on,” Mitchell said.
As assistant principal, Mitchell will be working with CHS teachers, focusing mostly on school schedules and curriculum while also overseeing the content that each of the departments teach. This year, Mitchell will also work on implementing the new California Standards and different teaching strategies. He will also be evaluating teachers and other staff members, while working to create the master schedule for the entire school.
“I’ve met [Mitchell] a couple of times; I know he’s very excited to be at CHS, and I think he will do a great job,” Hilton said.
Hilton has been working in CUSD for 12 years. In her early years at CHS, Hilton worked as both a math and science teacher; however, during her third year at CHS, she was promoted to assistant principal. Despite her recent transition to the district office, her work remains similar to the work she had completed as the assistant principal at CHS, except now she works with teachers and students in grades 7-12 not just in grades 9-12. She focuses on curricula specifically in the math and science departments not just at CHS, but also at El Roble and San Antonio. She also works as an instructional coach, giving teachers throughout the district feedback on their lesson plans and providing resources to better instruct students.
“[Transitioning from CHS] was an opportunity that presented itself, and I decided that it was an opportunity that I wanted to pursue,” Hilton said. “And when it presented itself, I thought that it was something that would speak to my talents, especially math and science, that I’m really passionate about. I think that I can use this expertise to help not only the staff but the students of Claremont Unified on a little bit larger scale than just CHS.”
As Hilton and Mitchell move forward with their separate careers, both have high hopes for the exciting new challenges and duties that their new positions will bring. They are very eager to assist students in CUSD in any way they can and look forward to the future.