CHS Only Chooses to Power Wash the Campus This One Time

On April 7, the CUSD Service Center was called to the CHS campus in order to power wash part of the school. Power washing uses a high pressure stream of water to clean. Lately, students at CHS have been leaving food and trash near the in-n-out tables, so the district needed to improvise and get all of the junk out of the area. Although the state of California is in a drought, in a drastic situation like this, the district needed to power wash just this one time.

In previous years, the CHS campus has been power washed in order to remove all of the chewed gum on the ground. Old gum still covers the ground around campus, so it is no surprise that CHS has been power washed before. This school year, students can be seen every day leaving uneaten food and trash around CHS, resulting in the recent power washing event.

“When [CHS] has power washed previously, it was to remove all of the gum on the concrete,” Dr. O’Connor said.

Power washing the roofs during repair is not related to this occurrence. The roofs, which are under a $1.8 million repair project, are required to be power washed so that they can be cleaned and the new material laid on top of the ceilings. This is not directly involved with CHS, but rather a contracting company fixing problems with the roofs on campus.

Normally, the CHS routine for cleaning the campus is to sweep, leaf blow, or pick up junk. Although that might make the most sense during a drought, there was such an immense amount of food and trash stuck to the ground near the tables, the only resolution was to have CUSD power wash that part of the campus.

“In a drought, from here on out, it would only be in emergencies that [CHS] power washers,” Dr. O’Connor said. “I think that when we are not in a drought, I certainly think that, with all of the gum we have on campus, it would keep the campus clean. But with the drought, we would only power wash in extreme emergencies.”

CHS power washing parts of the school is nothing to worry about during California’s drought because it is a rare occurrence. Since CUSD is the one hiring the workers to power wash the campus, it is beyond CHS’s control how they clean up the mess. Power washing is not set to reappear at CHS anytime soon, and, if it does, it would only be when absolutely necessary..