CHS Invests Money in iWaste

Today, technology has shaped and defined many of the people in this world. CHS has recently been bringing iPads into the classrooms of many teachers. Countless schools have iPads that are used in different classes, from English to math. This way, students are able to do all of their learning on a device where it is quick and easy to receive information and have everything in the same place. It is convenient for both students and teachers. This is what the schools claim at least. In reality, the iPads have been glitchy, inefficient, and have slowed down many classroom activities.

Many assignments that students are required to complete on an iPad force students to do all their work in class with the iPad they are working on. They are unable to bring their work home like they would otherwise be able to do and spend precious class time waiting for uploads and downloads.

One of the apps that students have used was My Big Campus, an app where teachers could create their own online classrooms and have their students participate in the discussions that were online. My Big Campus proved to crash frequently and had terms and agreements that some students were not comfortable signing. Unfortunately, teachers forced the students to sign away their privacy rights for the sake of their grade. Moreover, as teachers relied on this source for their students to participate, My Big Campus shut down and is now not going to be able to be used next year. The school has wasted countless class periods trying to learn how to use a website that could not last longer than a couple of years. The problem is that no one knows when an app or source like this could give way underneath the feet of the school. Thus, schools should not depend on iPads because they are much less functional than bureaucrats would like to believe.
Kids and adolescents spend nine hours a day on electronic devices according to Everyday Health. Using iPads in the classroom adds to the time that students look at a screen and just because it is for educational purposes does not mean that it is healthy. It can cause damage to the eyes and the brain as well. Steve Jobs was reported by the New York Times to limit the technology that his children have access to. As with many executives in Silicon Valley, he was well aware of the dangers iPads. Students are already spending a lot of time locked onto screens, which is proven to be unhealthy, and there has already been much talk about kids needing to cut down the hours because it is physically and mentally damaging and using school iPads fuels this addiction.

It is clear that the school has invested in iWaste. The iPads have proven to be a symbol of how education is not simply reformed by buying the newest Apple product. High schools ought to focus on lowering class sizes, buying two-ply toilet paper, and maintaining up to date educational materials. Education reform cannot be solved by excessive spending on unnecessary items.