ASB to be Pen Pals with Russia and India

This year, ASB is beginning a Pen Pals program with foreign students from both Russia and India. In Oct. of 2014, teachers Tanusree Ghosh of India and Yuri Zverev of Russia visited the CHS campus to observe an ASB business meeting. Both teachers showed interest in the school and city of Claremont. They were excited to return to their hometowns and share with their students all that they learned.

In order to remain in contact with the students in Russia and India, the ASB students exchanged emails with the foreign students to work something out. During March, ASB was able to successfully contact both the students in Russia and India. The students in India are already proficient in English, while the Russian students do need Claremont “pen friends” to help them with the language.

“[ASB] are all very excited to communicate with friends around the world, and most of us plan to continue communication into the summer and possibly beyond,” senior ASB member Emily Spivack said.

Since the students in India can already speak English, they will be participating in different activities with ASB, unlike those from Russia. Yuri’s students happen to struggle with the English language, so ASB has offered to help guide them through the learning stages of the language. In order to do so, Yuri’s students will be sending letters to ASB that will be proofread and sent back so that the students may fix their mistakes. In return, the students in Russia and India will help the Claremont students with their languages if they choose to do so.

“We hope CHS takes on a more world-conscious perspective, that students realize there are kids all over the planet who have similar experiences and adversities,” junior ASB member Claire Colinco said. “Of course we have differences, so we want students to be able to learn about other cultures and increase their respect for them.”

As for participation, almost every ASB member is involved in the program. Although this arrangement is very new to Claremont, students are hopeful to continue it beyond just this year. Not only are CHS students eligible to teach foreign students English, but they can also learn different languages from Tansuree’s and Yuri’s students as well.

“By becoming a Pen Pal, I will be connected to another culture and will fulfill some of my dreams of traveling,” Colinco said. “Plus, being a Pen Pal means you’ll make a new friend, and who doesn’t want that?”

A program like this is beneficial for all three groups of students, both here and in other countries. This program, if continued, has a lot to offer current students as well as future ones.