A Mural in a Garden

New life is being brought to CHS with the addition of a nature-themed art piece in the garden. A mural will be painted in the CHS garden with the help of the People Interested in Nurturing the Environment (PINE) Club, Bird Club, and Pitzer College students in late March and early April. Around 20 Pitzer College students will help the Pine Club create a mural that will be painted up to the length of three classroom walls.

David Sawhill, club adviser for the PINE Club, Jessica McCoy, an art teacher at Pitzer College, and the rest of the mural group, combined their ideas to create a colorful mural at CHS. It was designed to complement the garden and not overpower the natural beauty present in the area. The unique colors and the geometric shapes will go across the entire length of the garden.

“I’ve always liked color filling up the walls of our community, whether at school or in the city,” Sawhill said.

The mural will include triangular mountains and a sun made up of unique and colorful triangles. Next to that, there will be a majestic river with different shades of blue, and a forest with about five trees made of triangles.

The PINE Club, Bird Club, and other garden supporters went to Pitzer College to brainstorm some ideas and settled on creating a mural with earthy tones. The PINE Club students went to Pitzer and saw 14 presentations and selected the one they thought would best fit.

“I know that I, along with the other PINE members, use the garden as a place to not only work for the sake of the environment, but also to relax and have fun,” senior and vice president of the PINE Club Pauline Nguyen said. “I hope with the addition of the mural, more people will become interested and hopefully become more aware of their surroundings.”

Thanks to the efforts by the mural group, CHS will have an original work of art in their garden. Hopefully, the mural will endure for the next 50 years to inspire the next generation of nature-minded students.