CSUs Change New Student Testing

In the next few months, all of the California State Universities (CSUs) will be changing their testing from the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) to California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP). This will have a tremendous impact on all 11th-graders because the scores that these students achieve will determine if they are prepared for college-level work and will save them time from writing another separate essay. Students should mark on their tests to release their scores at the end of the CAASPP exam which will let CSUs or California Community Colleges access to their exams. CSUs will start using the CAASPP English language arts and mathematics for high school students in the beginning of spring 2015.

Achievement Levels show a student’s capability of how they can handle college-level work, and can also present valuable information on their potential skills while they are in high school based upon which level they achieve. Achievement Level Four consists of students who will be free from taking the CSU English Placement Test and the Entry Level Mathematics Exam, and they will be able to register for college courses at the time of entering a CSU. This is due to the fact that they are fully ready to take the college courses offered at CSUs. Meanwhile, Achievement Level Three consists of students who are considered “conditionally ready.” They are advised to take an English course such as the Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC), AP English, or IB English. Students taking any of the English classes listed and earn at least a “C” will be exempt from the placement test after CSU admissions and will also be able to immediately register. High schoolers will also be advised to take mathematics in addition to any course that has a prerequisite of Algebra 2 or Integrated Math 3 to better prepare for a CSU.

The CSUs are changing the way students are tested before college because it will be a better way to see how prepared students are for college courses. These tests will begin and will test students on what they have learned in high school. CSUs are trying to better see how developed students are, and these tests will be able to test students’ knowledge.