Clash of Guitar Picks: Musicians Face Off at Battle of the Bands

All battling for the same goal, local bands come together in an exhilarating, competitive musical event that has given high school bands the opportunity to show off their talent. The Instrumental Music Program will be hosting the event, Battle of the Bands, on March 28 at 7 p.m. at CHS. This event is a competition between garage bands at CHS as well as bands from other high schools. It will be a fun time to spend with friends and something that students should partake in. Everyone is welcome to listen to the music played by the bands and will be promised a thrilling experience full of entertainment and food. The event is composed of nine bands that will be performing three or four of their selected songs live.

“I think it is really going to be fun because a lot of the bands are made up of exclusively students from the high school so I think it is a good opportunity to see what the bands have to offer,” junior and CHS band member Clayton Becker said.

This event will have many rock bands, including CHS student bands like Delayed Reaction, James and the Peaches, and also last year’s winner, Taylor, from Bonita High School. Each band will be judged by the quality of their performance, the audience’s reaction, and their skillfulness.

“For our performance, I would like to execute all our songs perfectly and really show the judges that we deserve to be contenders for first place,” sophomore and drummer for Suspicious Liquids and Melon Dramatic Nick Pedroza said.

This year, the Instrumental Music Program will have three judges who will critique the bands that are performing. The judges are Daniel Wonacott and Patricia Martin, who both teach guitar at CHS, as well as a guest judge, who has yet to be determined. The judges will decide on one winner and that band will win equipment, studio time, and the opportunity to work with professional musicians.

Battle of the Bands is a fantastic way to see what the students at CHS and other high schools are passionate about. A variety of music will be played and the event is intended for everyone. Students should be there to support bands from the Pack and have a pleasant time listening to the live music.