California’s School Lunches Are Not as Healthy As Hoped

When trying to maintain a clean and healthy diet, school lunches may not always be the best choice. Many of the options given to a typical student will contribute to the obesity rate for children. According to the School Health Policies and Programs Study, about 19% of middle schools, and 23.5% of high schools include meals from fast food restaurants. K-12 school lunches must become healthier.

Several of the meals that are served to students during lunch provide more calories than a teenager needs and can lead to weight gain and obesity. However, most students will actually not feel satisfied after eating their lunch because their body did not receive enough nutrients. A teenager should be provided with healthier lunch opportunities in which the student is encouraged to have wholesome meals. Many movements and programs have already taken action towards the cause and it is about time Claremont High School does the same.

If students were given healthier lunches, there would be a great many benefits contrasted with a small amount of minor drawbacks. As indicated by www.webmd.com and healthyeating.sfgate.com, researchers have demonstrated that consuming a balanced diet is the best way to improve skin complexion and maximize a teenagers’ growth. Therefore, eating healthy meals can help the youth especially when they are going through times of puberty and skin disorders are prominent. It also assists in balancing a teen’s hormones. These factors would then lead to stronger self esteem.

Eating healthier is good for the body overall as is it even helps the brain to function smoothly. According to Harvard, feeding off of nutritious foods boost alertness, concentration, and performance. These are all qualities that would significantly aid students during class. The consumption of balanced and wholesome meals would cause lots of students to increase the efficiency in their work.

Eating right pays off with the human mind as well. Strong evidence provided by the Mayo Clinic supports the idea that eating healthy can put a person in a better mood. The Mayo Clinic proved that nutritious foods can stimulate brain chemicals, causing happiness and relaxation. The clinic also noted that healthy habits may lead to better mental health, which can help make social connections for students.

Practicing healthy habits can also improve longevity. The American Council on Exercise covered an eight year study with about 13,000 people. The study indicated that people who practiced healthier habits had a longer lifespan, compared to those who did not. It also demonstrated that consuming the right foods can help prevent diseases such as strokes, high blood pressure and heart diseases.The reason behind this is that eating right will keep a person’s blood flowing smoothly, decreasing the risk of catching a disease.

Others argue that all of these strong points come with a catch, which would be that healthier meals are more expensive. This may start off as a difficult task but once the plan is in action the results will be very evident. The results will benefit and improve students’ lives majorly making up for the extra cost.

The significance in consuming healthy foods is very important. As explained before, the nutritious diet will improve the quality of health and confidence for Claremont’s students. When the plan finally is in action, CHS students will be able to fulfill their potential.