The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Generation Z is undateable

No one wants to date Generation Z. Why?
Canva Art by Kate Song

From being dubbed as the digital natives to the social media generation, there is another reputation for Generation Z on the horizon: the undateable generation. Adept at navigating technological advancement, such as apps for hooking up and social media, Gen Z more easily connects with people through casual sexual encounters than ever before. However, this has created unique challenges for those in Gen Z who want to find loyalty and romance. 

Like anyone else, we crave love and the satisfaction of having a partner. It is a natural desire wired into every human. However, to satisfy those desires without actually committing, our generation simply resorts to hookup culture. Hookup culture is characterized by casual sexual encounters with a “no strings attached” mentality. Is this hookup culture the exact reason why our generation is labeled as undateable? To put things simply, yes.

One of the reasons that Gen Z is undateable is how overly cautious and indecisive we are. In our minds, we view dating as a commitment. More often than not, commitment is attached to a negative connotation. Committing to someone is equated to hindrances to personal goals like academic achievement or career advancements. Other times, people think it is too “time-consuming”. This is difficult to reconcile within our current culture where maximizing your success and “putting yourself first” is a constant theme. To combat this struggle, Gen Z seeks the easy way out by taking things as “lightly” as possible. Even if they are in a “committed” relationship, chances are they are not exactly 100% feeling it. 

According to a study reported by BBC, one in ten people born from 1997 to 2012 are actually “committed to being committed.” This essentially means only 10% are open to settling down in a proper relationship with a partner. Scientifically, a person’s body produces neurological chemicals that provide an internal craving for intimacy and physical touch. Desire for intimacy is an experience for everyone. For many it is not enough to simply opt out of the “dating pool” in order to focus on other goals, thus making hookup culture the “better” option. 

The prominence of hookup culture has led to our generation becoming more and more undateable than ever.  Because our generation prioritizes fluidity and ease, hook-up culture increases in popularity and consequently, dating is dwindling in popularity. In the minds of Gen Z, we wonder what is the point of dating when we can still reap the physical benefits in a non-committal way. While hookup culture can be “liberating” to some, others find themselves confused if someone is genuinely interested in dating them or hooking up. The lines between interest in sex versus interest in dating often get blurred, once again being one of the main attributes as to why Gen Z finds themself being undateable.

In a culture that maximizes our success, we are taught that romantic commitments are hindrances, which leads our generation to resort to social media or apps for hooking up. I am not saying every Gen Z must date, but avoiding commitment in favor of hooking-up creates a massive gray area for people who want a committed relationship. As Generation Z navigates different labels, it’s important to make sure the “undateable” stereotype does not define us all. 

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!