Disrespected, Disappointed, Disgraced: Gen Alpha Making Teachers Quit

Gettyimages

A 7th grade teacher with the TikTok username @qbthedon states in his viral video, “I teach seventh grade, [and yet Gen Alpha] are still performing on the fourth grade level.” Reports such as these raise concerns among parents, school boards, and lawmakers. These groups start pointing fingers at the seemingly obvious common denominator: teachers. Articles such as “Scathing new report says American schools are ‘failing the COVID generation’” (USA Today) place the blame on teachers. The consensus is that teachers should teach. Thus, when a student fails, it is the teacher’s fault. This mentality fails to recognize the new challenge that teachers face: Gen Alpha is the COVID generation. 

Raised in front of the screen and forced to skip crucial years in their primary education, Gen Alpha poses a new, unfamiliar challenge to teachers. Teachers are now working to their last nerve trying to make up for the education gap. However, the problem is the lack of compliance from Gen Alpha. TikTok user @saaaaaaaii1, a teacher, explained, “Having to teach and work with your guys’ children has been the most traumatic experience of my life. They don’t respect any authority. You ask them, ‘can you stand in your designated spot?’ They’re telling you ‘no’ and ‘shut up.’” 

Teachers are not babysitters, nor are they behavior management specialists. Teachers are simply there to educate children. They can try to correct misbehavior, but in the end, it is not their responsibility to erect a moral compass of basic human decency in Gen Alpha. Thus, when Gen Alpha fails, it is not the teacher’s responsibility, it is the parents’ responsibility. And who are the parents?

Millennials.

Another TikTok teacher, @thehighpriestess1322, described “This poor sub is up at the front of the classroom trying to get through her presentation […] and the […] parents in the classroom are letting their kids just literally […] doing cartwheels and the splits. It is back to school night. If you are not here to learn how to be a helper to the teacher teaching your child, then go home. […] People who do care are not getting the information that they need because you’re rude, your children are rude, and they’re going to grow up to continue to be rude because you don’t correct them.” This behavioral issue arises from millennial parenting. The term gentle parenting is used to describe millennials’ parenting practices. But in reality, gentle parenting is a term used to mask the actual, far worse, type of parenting millennials use: permissive parenting.

In theory, gentle parenting is great. An article from The Cut explains, “The idea behind gentle parenting is to approach kids with respect and empathy, to offer choices rather than make demands, to give space to the child’s feelings and emotions and avoid losing your cool in frustrating situations.” However, many parents confuse this parenting style with permissive parenting. VeryWell Mind describes, “Permissive parenting involves a lack of demands and expectations. […] Children raised by permissive parents tend to lack self-discipline, possess poor social skills, may be self-involved and demanding, and may feel insecure due to the lack of boundaries and guidance.” Permissive parenting– masked as gentle parenting– is what millennials hold to be the “golden standard” for healthy parenting. These unruly Gen Alpha kids are so used to running rampant at home, so they treat school the same way. Now, teachers are faced with 30+ skibidi-toilet-screaming goblins running around, disregarding every piece of discipline teachers try. With these conditions, it is no wonder that teachers are quitting by the masses. A USA Today article written in 2023 states, “More teachers than usual exited the classroom after last school year, […] spiking stress levels, [and] student behavior challenges, […] have all taken their toll on many American teachers.”

Disrespected, disappointed, defeated, disgraced, and humiliated– teachers face the brunt of the questionable parenting choices millennials have made. If society wants to ensure the next generation does not turn the world into ruins, start with parenting. To nip the problem in the bud, we must shift our focus. By acknowledging that “gentle parenting” fails to teach Gen Alpha that actions have consequences, we perpetuate a lack of basic human decency among future generations. If society has a shred of sympathy for teachers, we can address this generational issue head-on. The future lies in Gen Alpha’s hands; we must not set them up for failure.

$50
$500