Salutatorian Iris Yu to Study Biochemistry with the Bruins

CHS+Salutatorian+Iris+Yu+will+be+attending+school+at+UCLA+in+the+fall.+

CHS Salutatorian Iris Yu will be attending school at UCLA in the fall.

Xandie Kuenning, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Whether studying for her many AP classes or teaching children piano, Salutatorian Iris Yu has constantly put her all in everything that she does. Planning to major in biochemistry at UCLA, Yu is still not quite sure of her future. She is, however, content with her legacy at CHS. Though she saw that her GPA was ranked second in the senior class, Yu was unsure if she would become salutatorian.

“I knew that grades weren’t the only factor in choosing a salutatorian, so I was still somewhat surprised. It is a really great honor,” Yu said.

Becoming salutatorian was never a goal for this student. Instead, she went into high school just wanting to do her best in school and get into a good college. She believes that it was by taking the right classes and and joining the right clubs that she received this honor.

Yu has always been interested in science, especially in regards to physics and chemistry. She plans on majoring in biochemistry, as it is a mix of sciences, rather than just biology. In the fall, Yu will become a part of the UCLA Bruins. Though she first planned on going to the University of the Pacific, for its great dentistry program, Yu eventually decided on UCLA as it had both good medical and dentistry programs, giving her more of an option. Her brother also goes to UCLA which was a major factor in her decision.

“It was a big decision to choose to go to UCLA, Yu said. “My brother is my role-model and is also majoring in biochemistry, which I think affected my decision. That and where UCLA was located,”
When choosing colleges, Yu knew she wanted to stay close to home. However, she also did not want to be attending a college too close, such as the Claremont Colleges although Yu is also a really big fan of California’s sunny weather.

Along with her heavy course load, Yu has also been playing piano for ten years. She currently teaches four students and views it as a stress reliever.

“When I first starting talking piano, I didn’t really enjoy it. But as I continued, I learned that it allowed me to to express my music without people judging me,” Yu said.

Yu plans on continuing piano throughout college, though never as a career option. Rather she will just use it for a method to relieve stress.
Another extracurricular she participates in is tennis. Yu has been playing for four years, on the JV team for 3 years, and spending her senior year on Varsity. Though she never really considered herself “sporty,” Yu tried tennis freshman year and found that it was a good fit for her. As sports are a big aspect of UCLA, she plans on continuing this sport at least through college.

Engaging in clubs was just another part of Yu’s life at CHS. She an officer for Future Business Leaders of America for two years and also co-founded TALLPHA with valedictorian, Diana Zhao. Yu is also a part of the National Honors Society and has volunteered at San Antonio Community Hospital for two years.

“I began volunteering there as a way to see if entering into the medical profession was the right choice. I then realized that volunteering and the hands-on experience you get was really important to me in gaining knowledge,” Yu said.

When choosing a favorite moment here at CHS, Yu would have to say just her entire senior year. At the time she first became a freshman, Yu felt she did not really fit in and found high school stressful. However, after talking college math courses at Pomona, after completing AP Calculus BC sophomore year, Yu realized that high school was just a small part of life.

“Though it stressed me out, I eventually came to learn that [high school] was just a small part of my life and I had so many things still to learn,” Yu said. “I’ve seen how people grow in college and know the same will happen to me in time.”

Yu has accomplished a lot during her time here at CHS, from her rigorous course load to her participation in a variety of clubs. She looks forward to her future life in college and will see where life takes her in terms of a career. She knows she has much ahead of her, but will not forget her times with the Wolfpack.