Biology Teacher and ASB Director Jack Harper to Retire

ASB director, biology teacher and former football coach, Jack Harper has been at CHS for the past 39 years. Harper felt that it was his time to finally retire primarily because he would like to spend more time with his family. He graduated from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and went on to Claremont Graduate University, where he eventually earned his teaching credentials.

Harper’s early dream was to become a football coach. While at Claremont Graduate University, an adviser told him he should try to become a teacher instead because of his natural talent teaching kids. Harper took the advice and pursued his teaching credential and discovered that he loved teaching high school students.

“I believe that Claremont High School is the best of the best,” Harper said. “I get to come to work in the ASB office and work with some amazing people, and also for an incredible principal who puts students at the top. I always tell people this: it’s not like I’m coming to work; this is my playground.”

Harper began his career at CHS in 1979 as a football coach, and then continued to coach football for the next 38 years. Two years after he started coaching, he became a biology teacher and has been one for the past 36 years. Along with an already busy schedule, he decided to become the activities manager for ASB and has held the position for 18 years. When asked about how he felt about CHS, he responded with true passion.

“Everyone has an individual vision, part of that is to leave things better than they were before,” Harper said. “Whether it’s a student walking into your classroom, a player on the football field, an ASB event, you leave everything better than it was before.”

Throughout his time here, Harper has coached two CIF-winning football teams, touched the lives of many students and staff, and fostered an incredible amount of school spirit. He will definitely miss the day-to-day connection and interaction with his students and peers. Harper is sure that he will continue to work with kids, and is planning to return to CHS to volunteer in classrooms. Although he may be leaving, Harper has certainly left his mark on CHS and will no doubt be missed by many.