Immigration Program at CGU

According to The Daily Bulletin, over 200,000 residents are registered in the Deferred Actions for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in California alone. This program protects young and undocumented immigrants. However, the Trump administration recently made the decision to begin phasing out the program. Yet that did not stop Claremont Graduate University (CGU) from introducing “Allies of Dreamers.” This CGU class targets educators and community leaders, teaching about challenges faced by undocumented students, and how to provide for them.
Essentially, what DACA does is provide a means for undocumented students to both gain a work permit and avoid deportation. All students under the age of 16 are eligible for DACA, which allows a two year period of protection. However, this September, President Trump made the decision to phase out the program, deeming it unsatisfactory for dealing with immigrants. Currently, different solutions are being reviewed for a new program.
In 2015, the Claremont Colleges along with other universities from California began a program of their own, “The Dreamers Coalition” to create a curriculum for DACA members in need. A facet of “The Dreamer’s Coalition,” and supported by multiple universities in Southern California, “Allies of Dreamers” at CGU seeks to teach educators how to work with these students. The programs hope that after completion, a new wave of educators will know how to integrate DACA members into the classroom environment, understand laws governing them, and be able to advocate for the needs of these students. However, despite CGU’s hope, CHS students held differing opinions on the new program.
“I do not support programs for undocumented students. They’re not legal American people, so we should use the trillions of dollars for actual Americans,” CHS sophomore Paul Henley said.
Sophomore Liam Geary was significantly more optimistic about the course.
“The program will definitely have a net positive effect, as teachers will be able to support the unique set of challenges faced by undocumented students, whose education must be approached in a different way than the average student,” Geary said. “The program definitely makes Claremont a front-runner in the country. No human being is illegal, and they should be treated like that.”
He also felt the majority of CHS would hold an appreciation for the program. He believes that new teachers with advanced information will enable a more positive environment, not only for undocumented students, but the general student body.
“I think students at CHS will feel more comfortable and proud of the place they live in knowing they have teachers prepared to help some of the most marginalized members of our society,” Geary said.
Many of those enrolling in “Allies of Dreamers” feel like it will provide a tremendous boost for their teaching ability. Southern California is very diverse, and teachers know they must support all backgrounds. As a result, despite DACA’s loss, “Allies of Dreamers” will stay. A variety of different teachers and leaders are already signed. Starting this fall, the CGU students will explore the history, theory, and skills associated with the practice of teaching undocumented students.