Elhai New CETA President

In recognition of her work in theatre at both the state and national level, CHS theatre teacher, Krista Carson Elhai, was recently appointed to serve a six-year term as President of the California Educational Theatre Association (CETA) on October 9th.

CETA encompasses all of California’s theatre programs and their respective teachers, with members collaborating and attending a variety of conferences in order to learn how to better teach their students the art of theatre. Elhai’s responsibilities as president will include running CETA meetings and collaborating with other officials to continuously improve their own respective theatre departments.Regarding her motivation to have won her appointment, Elhai cites her love of theatre.

“I am really honored that I got elected to this board,” Elhai said. “I had a great high school theatre teacher who pushed me and I love to give back. If I am dedicating my time volunteering, I want to devote my time to something that is worthwhile.”

In addition to her new CETA commitments, Elhai is also a member of the Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), which monitors Thespians on the national level. Elhai notes that her experience with many years on both boards has become  quite beneficial.

“Because I am on the board, my students get the opportunity of knowing what is going on and I am a lot better connected with what is happening with educational theatre and what is going on in the state,” Elhai said. “Whenever I need something, I can email someone in Northern California or even across the country, and they can also use me as a resource.”

Previously there was a lack of a theatre credential in the state of California. In 1970, the Ryan Act eliminated dance and theatre credentials. Since then, teachers could only teach theatre after getting a credential in both Physical Education, and English credential. Elhai  spent the majority of her 30 plus years in education teaching under an English credential. Sponsored by a senator, CETA worked to pass a bill regarding this matter, which Governor Jerry Brown passed on  September 26, 2016. Elhai cites the efforts at establishing such a credential in California as CETA’s biggest accomplishment thus far.

A devoted practitioner of the theatre arts with connections at the state and national levels, Elhai desires to positively impact students’ lives through her work. Serving as CETA president, and a member of the EdTA, she endeavours to leave a strong impression upon the Californian theatre community.