Finding Nemo Versus Finding Dory: Which is the Best?

Somewhere beyond the sea, in 2003, moviegoers all across the world found Nemo. Now, 13 years later, they have found Dory too. Exemplifying Disney Pixar’s creative flare, Finding Nemo” drew praise and adoration from children and adults alike following its theatrical release. Finding Dory, upon being released as a sequel to its predecessor “Finding Nemo,” was widely received by nostalgic adults and curious children as some of the most iconic animated characters ever created returned to theater screens. Along the discussions regarding its publicly lesbian couple and impressive $900M at the worldwide box office, people began the art of comparing “Finding Nemo,” an unbeatable classic, to “Finding Dory,” a summer hit.

Despite stark similarities between the two fishy tales such as disability representation and the recurring theme of home and family, opinions about the two movies varied. Rotten Tomatoes, a popular website devoted to movie critique, awarded “Finding Nemo” an astounding 99% while its partner in crime “Finding Dory,” received only a 94%. The pattern continues when IMDb, the Internet Movie Database, crowned “Finding the Nemo” the champion with its 8.2/10 rating and “Finding Dory” in second place with a 7.8. Over the span of just two years, Finding Nemo has received 22 awards from Kid’s Choice Awards to the Annie Awards. With already 2 awards, there may be no doubt that Finding Dory can live up to its own hype. But regardless of the facts, the true value of the two films is up to the viewer. Here at CHS both students and teachers have their own stance and outlook on the debate.

“I like Finding Nemo better just because it’s the originalsome of my favorite characters are in Finding Nemo and not in Finding Dory,” said junior Clara Becker. Senior Thebe Kowalski echoes the same idea.

“Can’t beat the original. It’s [Finding Nemo] is a better story and it’s easy to follow.”  It seems as if the case with Finding Nemo being the original film makes it a preferable movie for some. For others, Finding Dory is a breath of fresh air and offers a very entertaining experience, and at times, a nostalgic one as well.

I loved Finding Dory because it takes place in California, and it reminded me of an old aquarium/theme park place called MarineLand that was around back in the day,” AP Composition and Language Arts teacher Allison Evans said. “I liked that Finding Dory reminds us how we need our parents at all stages in our lives. I also really liked the new characters that were added and while it’s sort of a movie sequel, it is still its own unique story.” In other instances, Finding Dory is also found to be quite relatable.

“The main problem is Dory does not know who she is. As a high school student, I relate more with her trouble finding her identity than with the worry of a parent losing their child,” senior Alexis Gaxiola said.  Finding Dory seems to be a common favorite at CHS as it gets bombarded with high praise and good evaluation from both teachers and students.

Differing opinions aside, there are a few other notable factors that set “Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory” apart. The primary difference is that “Finding Nemo’s” storyline revolves around Marlin, a father clownfish as he searches for his son Nemo after a “fish napping” by a scuba diver, while “Finding Dory’s” revolve around a blue tang called Dory as she searches for her long-lost parents. Secondly, Finding Dory can be interpreted as Ellen DeGeneres’s (voice of Dory) movie instead of Albert Brooks’s (voice of Marlin) since Marlin is no longer the main protagonist of the film. “Finding Dory” also portrays many disabilities in its new and fun characters, an element that has elicited much applause from many viewers. “Finding Nemo’s” voice actor has also been replaced since Alexander Gould (Nemo’s former voice actor) is now 22 years old, whose voice however is still heard as a cameo in “Finding Dory”. The new Nemo is now voiced by Hayden Rolence. Finally and perhaps the biggest and most significant difference of all; the majority of “Finding Dory” takes place in a marine refuge.

“Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory” were both certainly blockbusters of their time. Despite the contrasting opinions, there is not really a “better” one out of the two.Each movie had its own moments and defining qualities and aspects. The bottom line is, both “Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory” are must-see’s, perfect for any age and any time.