Fashion Forward CHS

CHS is a thriving hub of arts and creativity, yet its students seem to miss the mark regarding fashion: from t-shirts sporting largely unknown rock groups, to massive amounts of white Vans and Stan Smiths. I appreciate a good white tennis shoe as much as the next guy, but wearing Comme Des Garcons Converse is not “high fashion” or “designer”; and the age of these old rock T-shirts is coming to an end.

Frequently seen on display via social media, the Athleisure trend has steadily risen in popularity courtesy of off-duty models wearing brands like Nike, Adidas, and Champion to runway shows, as well as the eventual collaboration between these brands and high fashion houses and designers like Riccardo Tisci and Raf Simons. Once Kanye West adopted Rothco to print his Season 2 invitations on, and started printing his “The Life of Pablo” merchandise on Gildan branded apparel, these brands transcended their athletic image into the world of high fashion. Yet what most do not realize is that brands like Astrid Andersen and Telfar have been curating their clothes with this exact style on the runway.

Many designers are choosing to design clothing with no specific gender or season in mind, a trend currently shaping itself into something unexpected by consumers and retailers. For example, Alessandro Michele has recently put Gucci back on the map by designing almost fluid collection after collection, full of hand painted designs coupled with embroidery all over. However, the question still remains: how long will this trend last? Is this even a trend at all, or will Michele’s embroidery become timeless in the fashion world and who knows, maybe even make its way down to Claremont High School.

The Supreme Box Logo T-shirt is the new Givenchy Birds of Paradise. The blending of high fashion and streetwear is an ongoing debate between brands, designers, and influences. Students seem to try their hands at every new trend. Recent trends include, but are not limited to: as previously stated, rock & roll T-shirts, ripped, or heavily distressed jeans, Stan Smiths, chokers, souvenir jackets, and most importantly blatantly fake Yeezys. I’ve observed that the best dressed students find a way to mix older, or repurposed pieces that may not bear a brand name. If you are not cozy in your clothes, why try and flex brands about which you know very little. Runway brands like Jonathan Anderson and Acne Studios, who season after season produce a spectacle on the runway and in stores, are unheard of at CHS. Students are slowly catching on to the oversized look and the “Post Soviet” look has only recently become popularized by Demna Gvasalia’s popular brand Vetements, or Gosha Rubchinskiy’s eponymous label.

By no means is this a PSA to put one’s fingers on the pulse of high fashion, nor does it propound following these trends. Its purpose is to make students aware of current runway trends, because ultimately everyone has their own style. As Mordechai Rubinstein often says, “the beauty is in the everyday uniform.” CHS has no single uniform, making it exceptionally diverse from a fashion standpoint.