Simply Just Red

Seeing red? You are not alone. Held at Da Gallery Center for Arts as part of Pomona’s Second Saturday Artwalk on Feb. 11, the Simply Red Exhibit presented many shades of red via a plethora of original pieces, including those of select CHS AP photography and IB Visual Arts students. This is the first year that CHS students officially participated in the event, resulting from Photography, IB Visual Art, and Computer Graphic Arts teacher Melissa Wonnacott’s reconnection with Margaret Aichele, who runs the gallery.

“I think working with and supporting local art programs and galleries is important because it allows for students to be a part of “real-world” art experience, along with sharing the work that we do at the high school with the community, encouraging outside support and awareness,” Wonacott said.

The Simply Red event at Da Gallery was a part of Pomona’s Second Saturday Artwalk, with eleven CHS students participating, featuring their original, creative works during the event. The students took off with the simplicity of the topic of “red,” animated by the freedom to go in nearly any direction they chose.

“I like that the theme is very general. It primarily focuses on the color red and so I had a lot of freedom as to what I could actually photograph,” senior Gabi Palafox said. “Most of our other class projects follow a specific theme so it was a new experience to plan it out myself.”

Displayed side-by-side, showing the array of art and talent of each in contrast to the next, the students works were as follows: Vermilion by Hana Treat, Red by Quinn Hester, Girls on Fire by Bess Markley, Simply Red by Olivia Thomas, Drop of Red by Chloe Selznick, Red Shade by Paris Pearson, Two Face by Zack Bohler, Night at the Notch by Noah Libeskind, It Hurts by Gabi Palafox, Hooded Boy by Drew Villanueva, and Face Like Thunder by Katie Knudsen. Each was able to set their own price for their work if they chose to display it as for sale.

“It made me feel like I actually have potential in taking better pictures,” senior Villanueva said.

More than simply a primary color, the theme was a base for the students to explore and build off of, in any direction they chose, ranging from a mason jar with movement to silhouettes of girls prefacing a setting sun with a cascade of clouds. On a more abstract side, the single IB Visual Arts student participating had a different view.

“I mostly just drew it for this [the event], and this is the first thing that popped into my mind,” junior Hester said. “It is what I wanted to draw, it came out exactly how I wanted it and it fits the theme really well.”

The color that holds so much emotion can be described on a large spectrum, as large as the spectrum that holds all of the shades of red. CHS students were able to refine their emotion of the color through their art that they were able to proudly present at Da Gallery. Wonacott is looking forward to the relationship to hopefully be built with the gallery, wanting students to take further pride in their work that they put so much dedication into.